THE PROJECT – BEAUTIFICATION AND CONSERVATION OF VILLINGILI
The project aims to conserve the natural beauty of the beaches and reefs around Villingili.
Annual cleanups will continue as always in addition to the activities outlined below. The cleanups serve as a gateway to involve the public to establish ownership of cleaning activities and a platform to raise awareness.
Beach maintenance and Cleanup (East, South West & North Stretch)
- Placed signboards on the beaches.
- Carried out litter/waste audit on beach and sea.
- Placed dustbins on the three beaches. The dustbins and beaches get cleaned daily. The dustbins have been placed in pairs to introduce waste segregation at a later stage.
- Several awareness programs have been carried out by Save the Beach, targeted for different ages and groups, including the opening of a Look & Learn Centre. Plans have been made to strengthen the learning centre. Please check with the blog and social media sites for details.
Safety on the beach
- Placed buoys on the reef along with safety ropes for snorkelers
Strengthening the embankment
- Replanting beach trees such as Magoo and Palm trees to maintain the embankment of the surviving beaches.
- Placed semi permanent barbecue stands in South West Beach, where barbecue fires will not affect trees on the beach. Signboards have also be placed advising beach users not to light fires under the trees.
Harbour and jetty maintenance
- Cleaning out floating garbage in the harbour, jetty and around Villingili.
- The Annual Cleanup Event provided a major cleanup of the reef. The placing of the dustbins on the beach and the cleaning of floating garbage around Villingili assisted greatly in reducing the amount of garbage that collects on the reef.
- Throughout the year, and on a scheduled monthly basis, Save the Beach representatives dive to the surrounding reef, to determine how much garbage is accumulated. Depending on the amount of garbage accumulated on the reef, plans are made to cleanup the reef further. These cleanups are carried out by Save the Beach representatives and volunteer divers.
- Reef studies and surveys have been started with the assistance of and in collaboration with Marine Research Centre. Currently research has already started with local diving counterparts with coral propagation.
- Reef rehabilitation programme has already commenced with coral being planted in an area over 300 sq feet area.
To be attempted
Safety on the beach
- Signboard will be put up to indicate high current areas.
- Training lifeguards – Save the Beach plans to annually host life guard courses in Villingili in collaboration with the Maldives Police Services and Coast Guard. Suitable candidates will be hired to work on the Villingili beaches by Save the Beach.
- Conducting First Aid Courses on the beach.
Beach & Shoreline Maintenance and Cleanup
- Introducing a clean fish cutting area on the beach.
- Placing dustbins on roads near the harbours, jetty and the outermost roads.
- Replanting shoreline vegetation in thin vegetation areas.
- Creating eco-friendly benches or green sitting areas around Villingili for families and couples to enjoy the beach and beautiful views.
- Continuing awareness programs
- Developing television informercials and PSAs to raise awareness on environmental impacts created through human actions and aimed to raise individual levels of responsibility.
- Starting awareness and protection of endangered and protected species of marine creatures and birds, and continuation of existing programs.
- Continuation of reef rehabilitation and research component.
The project is planned for a 10 year period.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
At the end of each year, the project activities will be evaluated against the project schedule. These evaluations will be made public through the website.
All expenses and materials for the project will be obtained through sponsorship or donors. Accounting associated with the maintenance of the beach and reef will be transparent and made available to the public after annual audits.
To be involved with our projects or to sponsor projects towards your CSR, read here.